Hey everyone,
I have never edited an already published post, so we'll see how this works. If you have already commented, you do not need to comment again. For this week's blog, please read the editorial by Dr. Salls and respond with your opinion on which holds more responsibility...the individual or the society?
**Also, please send me an email at schild07@gmail.com with just your URL address, so I can compile a list. Also, if you did not type up a paragraph on your blog (meaning you hand wrote it, or didn't turn one in) please include that paragraph with your URL.
Thanks!
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
36 comments:
Hello,
I couldn't find a video on blackboard but i remember Dr. M mentioning about an editorial by Dr. Salls'. I found the editorial under the news and media advocacy which is under weekly resources. I was wondering if that is what we have to comment on. Thanks !!!
not sure which video..if the one I watched is the correct one :/
I see that Dr. M has posted Dr. Sallis's editorial on blackboard under weekly resources. What are we suppose to comment on?
Dr. M said that we should read an article, not watch a video, by Dr. Sallis. She posted this article under "Weekly Resources" on Blackboard. It is the last item on the list.
Now to my blogging:
Overall I agreed with Dr. Sallis' opinion paper. I also agree with the stance that there needs to be an emphasis on personal responsibility in preventing obesity. After all, obesity is made up of many, many personal choices that are ultimately under the control of the individual. However, while personal responsibility is a must, we simply cannot ask people to make responsible choices when they are UNINFORMED. This is best illustrated by the recent laws which will require restaurants in New York and California to post nutritional information, which I wholeheartedly agree with.
Any service or business that sells a product to the public is responsible for informing their customers about potential risks resulting from using their product! This is common sense, and can be seen in the form of warnings on a variety of products from cigarettes to children's toys Why not then with food, which, if 'used' improperly- can be just as dangerous? When the public is informed about the products they consume, then personal responsibility can come into play.
I am conflicted on Dr. Sallis' comments on TV advertising and sedentary behaviors as the primary form of entertainment for the public. I think that this is an extremely unfortunate and true observation about our society, especially when considering its impact on children. However, the reason companies advertise fatty, sweet, unhealthy foods is because it is what the public wants. If they didn't want it, they wouldn't buy it. If people didn't buy it, companies wouldn't advertise for it, and every McDonald's chain in the world would launch a massive ad campaign for their new menu of carrot sticks and tofu dogs.
Same goes for our obsession with forms of sedentary behavior as entertainment (video games, TV, etc).
The people getting the worst of this is certainly children, who are born and grow in a society promoting unhealthy behaviors. However, it should be noted that children do not have the authority to make their own decisions. Their parents do. A child may want to eat burgers and sugary cereal all day long because of their exposure to TV commercials, however who is letting them watch all that TV and who is purchasing their food? Parents who can't say no to their children when they demand a Big Mac or a GameBoy, or those who do not take parental responsibility to limit their children's unhealthy behaviors need to be held accountable here.
Articles on the restaurant nutrition info laws:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/nyregion/17calorie.html
http://www.yumsugar.com/2148254
I completely agree with Dr. Sallis' editorial; while we must hold people personally responsible for their actions, this strategy alone is obviously not working. So, I see no problem with policies being put into place to encourage good choices and inform people about eating right and exercising. After all, if generation after generation in a family has lived in an unhealthy way, it will take more than willpower to break that cycle. When I worked with obese children, it was very clear that the problem did not start with them. Their parents were overweight and sedentary as were their grandparents, and so on. So, obviously someone else must take the steps to educate families such as these. To me, it’s an extreme injustice when I ask an 18 year old her favorite vegetable and she says French fries. If she were not taught basic nutrition by her parents, should she not have learned it before she graduated high school?! Changes in health education must be made within schools, worksites, and nationwide. Within that education, personal responsibility should be emphasized, however, as another student mentioned, how accountable can someone actually be held if they are unaware or uninformed? I do understand Dr. Sallis' point that many times health education only make small improvements, but if education was combined with policy change (like eliminating trans fat from restaurants or making restaurants provide nutritional information), these gains could be larger.
As far as advertising...I am unsure on this point. I do understand that these commercials simply encourage bad choices, but that is only because there is a demand for those products. Businesses would be crazy not to take advantage of that. If people were more informed, educated and saw policies promoting good choices, maybe we would see a change in what exactly is being advertised.
It has taken numerous variables to create this obesity epidemic and there is no one answer or solution. This effort must come from several different levels and angles.
Well I also completely agree with this editorial. I have always believed that it falls on each person to make their own choices regarding pretty much anything in their life but especially what they put into their mouths! And as for children who may not be old enough to understand nutrition and its consequences fully, it falls on their parents to know better. I understand that it is wishful thinking, however, for everyone to feel the same way as I do about this topic. When given the choice to eat a side salad over french fries or even to choose frozen yogurt over ice cream, it is a no brainer for me. Of course I am tempted to eat the french fries (I mean they are good I will admit), but I simply choose the healthier option. The goal is to somehow get more and more people to do this!
Policy is becoming more and more involved with this epidemic, which is wonderful. Our Governator recently passed a state law that says now fast food restaurants must provide nutritional info on their food! The secrets will be revealed! But how about commercials similar to the anti-drug commercials with a 'just say no' attitude to fast food?? Or is there a way to even go as far as to mandate the things people eat like we mandate no smoking in buildings?? I realize that may be stepping on a bit too far, but since 'obesity and inactivity are now rivaling tobacco as the no.1 cause of death'...isn't it time to take drastic measures?
I believe the same goes for physical activity as well. There are MANY times where the last thing I feel like doing is working out. But I do it. People need to make the choice to 'Just Do It'!! And as far as environmental factors go...it is unfortunate that all cities are not built like Pleasantville. However, people need to find a way. Instead of using excuses, people need to be proactive and take control of their future as well as their children's. This is one epidemic that is completely preventable!!
In light of the new proposition that just passes, forcing all food chains to post nutritional information, it was very interesting reading Dr. Sallis editorial. I happen to agree with his bottom line message, that while personal responsibility is key, it is not the only factor necessary in combating obesity. What we eat and how much physical activity we get is only partly a ‘free choice.’ Environmental, economic, and social factors play such an immense role in socializing our views on health and behavior that for some individuals it actually might not be much of a choice. In poor urban neighborhoods there is no access to fresh produce, and residents don’t have the time or funds to seek out healthier options then what is located in their local markets. Further in a neighborhood with a high crime rate it might not be safe to run, play, or walk outdoors, especially for children, so the healthiest option is actually to stay indoors.
To combat such a complex problem, a socio ecological approach, like Dr. Sallis describes, is the most effective solution. As public health practitioners it is not enough to just inform and encourage people to make healthy choices, like eating fruits and vegetables, we also need to makes sure they have access and can afford to make to choices as well. The segment in the injury free video where a farmer’s market stand was brought to a school exemplifies the type of multi-level approach that is needed to combat obesity. As it not only taught parents about the benefits of eating fresh produce but also was a way to overcome the barrier of access to fresh produce in that neighborhood. It illustrates how to change a complex behavior the environment must also be changed to support the efforts.
I like the way the author does not put complete blame for obesity on individuals but rather sees it as a complex societal problem. I was unaware of our biological based preference for sweet and fat foods and had also not really paid attention to how much these foods were targeted in commercials. Reflecting back on commercials I have seen I can see how irresponsible it is to only advertise these foods, especially when the target audience is children; they are the ones most vulnerable and at a critical stage for developing life-long eating habits.
Once overweight, people do tend to want quick fixes but the other makes great points when he reveals how we have made other fixes so difficult. In a community designed for driving and entertainment focused on sedentary leisure it seems as if we have only achieved the goal we didn’t know we had laid out for society; a lazy, overweight and obese population. I think that changing the environment on a societal level and promoting healthful habits is a very promising idea; these negative changes have been creeping up on us over time and I feel can be reversible if we make that our conscious focus.
I agree with Dr. Sallis' editorial that we need more than personal responsibility to solve the obesity epidemic in America. Yes, I do believe that every person should take responsibilities for their actions, however, the government needs to help not hinder people. A change at a policy level, can dramatically increase individuals personal choices in regards to diet and exercise. If we make healthy foods more affordable and convenient, then we are giving people the tools to better themselves. It is unfair to expect change from people who have to go two hours out of their way just to buy a vegetable. Not everyone is afforded with the time, money, and effort that it takes (at the present time), to live healthier lives. But, if as a society we change the policies regarding access to healthier foods and exercise, then we can fight the obesity epidemic. If we do not take on obesity as a multilevel intervention, then we are not going to get the results that we need.
I agree with Dr. Sallis' editorial. Although what a person eats and how much they exercise does require personal responsibility, this is a societal issue as well.
I believe it is everyone's personal responsibility to watch what they eat and to exercise. No one makes someone go to McDonalds and order a Big Mack with fries. That person could just as easily order one of McDonalds' salads. Our society does make it hard though. The more nutritious foods aren't seen on the dollar menu and in the grocery stores they are more expensive. It's almost like the food companies are trying to get people to eat unhealthily.
As for exercise, it is hard to find the time. Of course the "quick fix" is ideal, but as anyone who has tried diet pills and fad diets knows, there is no quick fix, and if there is, it doesn't stay fixed for very long. The only true way to lose weight and keep it off is to change your diet and exercise behavior. By offering nutritious foods at reasonable prices we can make eating healthier a more viable option. Also, as a capitalistic country, many Americans work long hours and don't feel that they have the time to exercise. Work place exercise programs would provide people with the time and resources to exercise.
There are many options that I feel we as a society could, and need to, explore. Obesity is a rising epidemic and although people do need to start taking responsibility for themselves and their behaviors, I think we should,as a society, work together to make these changes more attainable and achievable.
I do agree with Dr. Sallis' editorial. Although it is the personal responsibility of a person to select his/her own actions and deciding whether/how much to exercise or eat, the society and the environment is also responsible for what a person chooses. I can see how the advertisements affect ones choice in what to eat and what not to eat. When i was first visiting US in 2005 i was shocked at the number of ads on television which were just about food and drugs.. I had never in my life seen so many food ads in that span of time.. This will obviously affect a person's choice of what he/she eats. I am glad with the new law requiring restaurants to have the nutritional values displayed on the menus. The other day i was listening to people calling in to a radio show and expressing their views about the new requirement. Many people just said that they knew what they were eating isin't healthy but they did not want it shown to their face. I hope this new law discourages them from eating all the unhealthy stuff.Again coming back to the editorial i do feel that roads need to be made more safe and fit for walking.We need more ads focusing on people to lead a healthier lifestyle rather than ads targeting kids with sweets and fatty foods.In the end ill say that i agree with Dr. Sallis when he says that everyone needs to work together to finding a solution to this huge problem.
I also agree with Dr. Sallis’ editorial. The paper points to the complex and dynamic interplay between the environment, the individual, and behavior. He addresses the ecological and holistic nature of health and our need as public health professionals to consider this when creating interventions, campaigns, and policies. No one approach will reverse a negative health trend. While ultimately it is the individual’s responsibility to take ownership of his or her health status, we must also recognize that that individual must be aware of pertinent health knowledge and capable of accessing resources and adequate care within the community. The environment plays a crucial role in what an individual is exposed to, what he/she learns, how he/she behaves, and ultimately determines the person’s health status. Without environmental changes we cannot expect health trends like obesity to change.
In San Diego, local community coalitions are banding together to: establish farmers markets accessible to EBT participants; increase the number of accessible stores with fresh fruits & veggies; expand community health care clinics; revamp local parks and recreation facilities; and restructure roads and urban planning to accommodate walkers and bikers. It seems to me that our city is taking progressive steps to do what it can to alter the environment to help reduce obesity rates. It is now up to health professionals to promote these changes and educate people on how to incorporate better nutrition and more physical activity into their lives.
It is mind blowing how apathetic people have become about their diet and exercise. When meal proportions are out of control, emphasis is placed on sugary and fatty foods, and sports are played on gaming system, it is no wonder two-thirds of the U.S. population is overweight.
I think that societies have a responsibility to help maintain the health of their population, and so this epidemic needs to be tackled from all angles in order to make a difference. In California, the government has taken some action by eliminating trans fats in restaurants and requiring nutrition facts to be available. These are steps in the right direction, but are they really going to make people stop eating fast food?
People are ultimately responsible for the decisions they make about their diet and exercise. Yes, these decisions can be difficult, especially with all of the negative influences out there, but there are plenty of people who are able to achieve a healthy diet and regular exercise. These people integrate it into their lives and it becomes a part of their lifestyle.
I also agree with other bloggers that parents play a big role in this by modeling unhealthy (or healthy) behaviors for their children. I also find it unfortunate that most high school (especially those in North County that I work with) offer only one semester of health in a student's four years of high school. This class covers nutrition, drugs and alcohol, sex, etc. in just one semester!! We don't expect students to learn math in one semester, why should valuable life skills be treated any different?
I agree that we do need to take some personal responsibility for our behaviors but I also think we live in a world which sets so many of us up to fail. Dr Sallis was right in pointing at other causes that might help with increasing obesity.I think that some good programs were put in place but you can't force people to use them. You have people who live in areas that don't have fresh fruits or vegetables available, places to safely go outside for physical activity, live in communities surrounded with fast food and liquor stores. Dr Sallis was right because until we can create a healthy enviroment for people to grow in where they learn healthy behviors from child unto adulthood we won't win the war on obesity.
After reading Dr. Sallis's article, I strongly agree with him that obesity is not only a personal responsiblity but also a societal responsibility. This article caters to a wide range of audiences. It's message is powerful and hopefully people will take action in stopping obesity.
Obesity is a huge problem because we live in a very individualistic country where a vast majority feel that individuals are responsible for what they eat and how they choose to exercise. I do agree that we as individuals have to take care of ourselves and be responsible for what we eat and how we exercise. However, I strongly disagree that the blame should be put on the individual alone because how can we hold individuals fully responsible when they are subjected to hundreds of fast food ads and quick fix diets on a daily bases. Our environment strongly influences our personal choices. It is as much a individual problem as it is a societal problem.
I am really glad that they passed the laws in New York to make restaurants post their calories for customers to see. I strongly feel that a customer that is not aware of how much calories they are consuming is not capable of making a rational decision when ordering food. For example, if the customer sees that the food they want to eat is high in calories, they may be less likely to order that. Therefore, the restaurant may be forced to develop healthier foods for customers to choose from. This is a win-win situation. I hope this law takes effect all across the United States!
In the end, I wholeheartedly believe in Dr. Sallis's stance that"the nation cannot afford to politicize the debate over personal versus societal responsibility for eating and physical activity".
If we, as public health students, can identify one factor as having the sole responsibility for obesity and the obesity epidemic in the United States then our jobs would be a lot easier. Unfortunately, obesity is not as black and white as obesity is about a person who eats too much and does not excercise. There are so many more variables than just personal responsibility. Yes, individuals need to take more responsibilty and yes our society needs to promote and create healthy environments for people to live in. I agree with the statement in the article, "this nation cannot afford to politicize the debate over personal versus societal responsibility for eating and physical activity. Individuals, families, community and faith-based organizations, corporations, and governments all must take responsibilty for contributing to the solution of this national problem." I believe that there has been a major push for public health messages to combat obesity and promote healthier lifestyles and we definitely have our work cut out for us to find the most effective ways to reach individuals and change our society to one that promotes healthly living.
A couple of years ago I went to China and saw free parks where people were able to excercise and walk around at night. I was in Mexico this summer and also saw a similiar park, where families safely walked around and the park rented out bikes and rollerblades. I would love to see not only these types of parks in the United States but being utilized by people of all types of SES. I know these countries are more community centered than the United States, but the parks created an environment for excercising, social interaction and community building.
I completely agree with the author, we must battle the obesity problem on many levels. Only looking at personal responsibility, will not solve the problem of obesity because it is well rooted in society. Fighting the obesity problem on an ecological level will serve most useful but this can be difficult. I think making policy changes is a good start. Using policy alone, however, is not enough. With policy changes, such as making food companies display the nutritional information on all of their foods, make people aware that there is a problem. For example, in certain hospital's cafeteria, McDonald's employees are required to ask customers if they want fruit with their meals as a side instead of fries. Even though most of the time people choose fries, the idea will spark some thought the next time they come in. At the Children's hospital were I do my field placement, a lot of controversy is happening with having food restaurants like McDonald's placed inside a children's hospital. Things that are being done in these situations are placing restrictions on the restaurants such as the one I mentioned before.
I think that if a person is well-informed on a health issue, has the tools and skills to make the changes, then personal responsibility should be emphasized more. Personal blame should not be the case if the person has no information on the health issue, no skills, and no tools to make changes, then society carries more of the responsibility.. I agree with the author, society has influence on health behavior as well and having communities get support from families, neighbors, churces and politicians can all help an individual make smart health choices.
Dr. Sallis’ opinion paper highlights the gravity of the obesity epidemic and eloquently addresses the role of not only the individual but society in changing the course of this problem. For too long, our social environment and political climate have supported unhealthy lifestyles of the American public. The infrastructure, as Dr. Sallis reported, is set up to produce consumer (product and food), and sedentary activities. When vending machines filled with soda and high fat foods are the only available snacks in school, PE programs are cut, or the nearest grocery store with fresh fruits and vegetables are located a 20 minute bus ride from communities, it is not a shock that obesity rates are climbing in both children and adults.
These examples represent a sparse reflection of a multitude of barriers that U.S. citizens face when making healthy diet and physical activity decisions. Without reducing these barriers that start from the political level and move into the sociocultural level, individual change will be hindered, and alone, unlikely to produce significant reductions in the obesity trend of our Nation.
Although, I think the most significant factor that will change the obesity rate will stem from socio/political actions, I still believe it is the responsibility of the individual to make as many changes to their diet and physical activity as possible, even with the given limitations of the environment. Individuals must still be informed, in a way that they understand, about the effects of their health behavior choices. Thus, an overhaul of not only our political and social climate (e.g., similar to smoking policies and changed views of smoking) but the individuals that comprise these systems will be necessary for changing the direction of this epidemic.
I agree with Dr. Sallis. I believe that individual responsibility is part of the issue with the obesity epidemic, but I also think that the environment plays a HUGE role in contributing to the problem, especially for those in lower SES. For example….
Food availability: Grocery stores with healthful options (fresh fruits, veggies, organic options) are more likely to exist in suburban areas while being almost nonexistent in poorer neighborhoods. The grocery stores that do exist in poor neighborhoods tend to be convenience stores that are loaded with liquor, tobacco products, and innutritious foods.
Parks/Recreation Centers: Parks in poor neighborhoods are more likely to be outdated and unkempt; whereas parks in higher-SES areas are more likely to have lots of park equipment, have additional recreation structures, and better maintenance.
Another part of the environment that contributes to a sedentary lifestyle has to do with the structural environment. Traffic congestion, crime, and sidewalk/trails are major factors that can thwart people from doing exercise. If there is fast traffic, no real sidewalks, and gang activity near your home, would you go out and try to exercise?
There are many issues about obesity that can be solved if environment is really analyzed. However, fixing the problems in the environment will not solve obesity, because people must also realize how they are contributing to the epidemic.
First step,…..DON’T PASS OUT CANDY FOR HALLOWEEN!!!!! :)
I agree with Dr. Sallis' editorial. Personal responsibility is needed to solve the obesity epidemic in America. Everyone should take responsibilities for their actions and not blame fast food restaurants for their lack of self control. At the same time, the government needs to help society regulate these companies. A good change that happened this past week in CA is now fast food restaurants have to list calories on their menus. A change at a policy level will more likely increase individuals personal choices in regards to diet and exercise. If we make healthy foods more affordable and build better sidewalks for people to walk on are all tools that will benefit us. Changing a behavior is very hard to do. I'm an example of a person who finds it hard to stay on a healthy/exercise diet. We need to find the right interventions for this epidemic for the right age groups. And maybe even regulate all the diet programs and pills to ensure that they are all real and not trying to take our money.
Dr Sallis's article raised some very interesting and controversial issues. There is much to be debated in this article and many angles to look at it to form an opinion.
First off, I agree much of what he says, when he speaks of prompting personal responsibility when it comes to physical activity and nutrition. Each individual should be their own best health advocate and make conscious decisions each day about how to treat their body.
With that said, Society/government/local programs may not be dong the best job to inform the population of what is best for their body. I think marketing comes into play too much here and people try to promote programs and products over what is is actually best for your health. If facts and choices aren't made easy for people, are individuals the only ones to blame?
I also think that health initiatives should start launching healthy lifestyle habits..FOR LIFE..not a program. TO me, program means there is an end. When you are talking about these issues, there should never be an end. Perhaps this health communication message should start to be communicated in a different way. Like the article said, most changes don't last. People drop out of exercising and eating healthy very soon after they start. I think focus should be put on how to improve the dropout rate and how to put the responsibility on each individual to make it part of their life.
I agree with Dr. Sallis' editorial especially with the very last sentence of his editorial where he suggests that the problem of obesity should be addressed at multiple levels ( from the socio-ecological Model perspective) “Individuals, families, community and faith-based organizations, corporations, and governments all must take responsibility for contributing to the solution of this national problem”. When designing health programs/interventions/ health campaigns we have to examine each level independently because there are many barriers and challenges within each level which prevent individuals from taking personal responsibility (healthy eating/exercising) in preventing obesity. For example, if we were to address this problem at the individual level within the Latino community (the largest growing minority in the nation), there is a powerful video on YouTube that clearly portrays some of the MAJOR challenges that many Latinos living in the U.S. are facing today. This video focuses on I.C.E. raids, those detained and deported, families torn apart, dreams deferred etc…I can see how these obstacles preclude Latinos from taking personal responsibility and adopting healthy behaviors to prevent obesity. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISnaY4njlW0
Hi Everyone,
I agree with Dr. Sallis's editorial. I actually listened to a lecture by him a few weeks ago. I think he is correct in that our environment often shapes our behaviors. So I do not think it is solely the responsibility of the individual because others are often contributing to our environment in a much larger way. Although, I do think that the individual must be accountable and not blame society. So, I believe it is both society and the individual that are responsible. The problem with this is it seems like such a huge barrier to tackle. But, I think it all starts with socially responsible and healthy policies.
I completely agree with Dr. Sallis on the fact that individual-based behavioral interventions alone are not the answer to the obesity epidemic. In fact, reviews of behavioral interventions targeting weight loss reveal that effect sizes are very small and benefits are rarely sustained post intervention. This is not surprising given that our culture and environment fosters unhealthy behaviors such as sedentary lifestyles and the consumption of foods high in fat and sugar and low in nutritional properties. Hence,similar to public health efforts aimed at reducing tobacco use, obesity interventions need to address the multiple levels of influence underlying the obesity epidemic.
After reading the editorial on obesity, it seems fair to say that we have complete responsibility over our actions, wheather they are beneficial or detrimental to our health. However, without the cooperation of food companies we will not be able to see the desired outcomes, which are to decrease the rate of obesity and encourage healthy choices. In order to see behavior change we must consider an appropriate environment that encourages and facilitates our goals.
Although, there are other factors that come into play, I believe we should first concentrate on creating an environment that helps us develop healthy behaviors and maintain them as well.
I agreed with Dr. Sallis' opinion because obesity is a personal responsibility as well as a social problem. It is important to acknowledge the personal responsibility because people are always quick to blame others and not take part of the fault. I also agreed that motivated participants moderately change even in a well-designed program. For example, I am a motivated person with high self-efficacy. I was doing a health behavior change in diet and the main outcome was to lose weight. I was able to maintain eating less calories and lose 5 pounds during the intervention. When the intervention was done, I gradually gained the pounds back. In addition, this brings out a problem that health behavior change is difficult. There is a need to collaborate research to discuss the relationship between health behavior change, personal responsibility, and social influences to decrease the gap and to lessen obesity.
I did a quick google search on The Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act and came across a couple articles on people suing fast-food chains for causing their obesity. The fact that there are people out there suing establishments for their own health problems is a sad commentary on American culture. I think it's ridiculous that people are more interested in financial gain than improve their own health. One man suing four fast-food chains who ate fast food four or five times a week said, "..I ate it more often than not because I was single, it was quick and I'm not a very good cook." To me, those reasons are insufficient enough to prove that the restaurants are responsible for his obesity and it just shows how lazy he is. To me, it seems as though he feels money will solve his health complications, which is probably the greatest fallacy in all of public health.
As Sallis put it, both personal responsibility and environment play a role in the obesity epidemic. It is not just one or the other.
Link to the news article mentioned above: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,58652,00.html
I agree with Dr. Salls' editorial. Personal responsibility should be accounted for all actions resulting in obesity. I also believe that social responsibility plays a major role as well. Some behaviors and decisions are more influenced by the environment we live in or the public policies that govern us. People have little control sometimes over the environment they live in. We cannot always hold people personally accountable for all their behaviors. As an example in an old movie clip, a black young man has just moved to a new neighborhood and decided to go out for a jog that night. He was suddenly stopped by policemen and asked why he was running. It turns out; if you run in that neighborhood you must be a thief! This person might have had personal responsibility on where he may live, but he has no control or freedom over where he may exercise.
Has it really "taken the federal government a COUPLE of decades to decide obesity is a problem"?!? Unbelievable.
Obesity is a condition that carries such heavy social and economic consequences—and, the effects only seem to be getting worse. Sallis’ editorial makes many interesting points regarding personal and societal responsibility in such a devastating problem.
In order to combat this epidemic of obesity, we must all work together. We need more programs with messages about healthy eating and physical exercise that are motivating and attractive—and remember these will need to be tailored for a variety of communities. For example, programs that are group based and center on modeling—a very effective feedback mechanism that can reinforce healthy behaviors (like exercising, or choosing health foods to consume). Such interactive programs can also really empower individuals and promote self efficacy despite perceived barriers. Increasing awareness of the potential risks in unhealthy weight gain and a sedentary lifestyle is a must. Individuals should hold themselves accountable for the decisions they make; however, they must also be made aware of options. Early life interventions and targeting those who are at increased risk is crucial for promotion of personal responsibility.
Likewise, policy makers and community members should work on common goals for a healthy environment. Accessibility of healthy alternatives (i.e. controlling high calorie foods), the physical structure of the environment (i.e. adequate and accessible resources for physical activity), and even the media that penetrates our environment should all be elements considered in how our communities are built.
This issue, like the genetics vs. environment debate, is not as polarized as initially presented. It is easy for restaurants to put the emphasis on personal responsibility and for obese patrons to blame the restaurants that they frequent.
As Dr. Sallis explained, the real responsibility lies somewhere in the middle. People need to take personal responsibility for their decisions and restaurants should attempt to make food preparation decisions based on health, not ease.
Ultimately, these two entities should work together instead of being in opposition. Not every issue is black and white, some exist in shades of grey. The personal responsibility vs. restaurant responsibility falls into the huge range of what can be considered grey area.
I agree with Dr. Salls' editorialin that Personal responsibility should be accounted for obesity at some level, because ultimately, it is up to the individual to choose what type of behviors they choose or not choose to engage in. Specifically when they are behaviors that are relavent to personal health.However, I also believe that social responsibility plays a major role as well. This is because so much of our behaviors and decision making processes are more influenced by our environment.For example, a person cannot help but accept the fact that they are born into a low-income family and forced to live in an impoverished neighborhood that is surrounded by liquor stores and fast food chains. When there are no health food stores in the neighborhood, the person is somewhat forced to choose from the only alternatives that are available to them, specially if those are the only affordable alternatives. Also, public policy, plays a great role in determining our health. For example, what the FDA allows resturants and food maufacturers to put into our food, effects what is available out there for us to put into our bodies! So I think that it is both the person and the enviornment that have an effect over the obesity problem. Therefor we must take action towards both behavior change at the individual level as well as policy change at the societal and political level if we want to effectively combact this obesity problem!
I completely agree with Dr. Sallis's editorial. The main points he makes are ones that have been discussed numerous times within some of my classes. How can we promote additional activity when we aren't building walkable communities? Or our communities aren't safe? It's hard because the people making the decisions to build communities that are not conducive to activity are not involved in a 'health conscious' field.
Also, when it comes to the sweet and fatty foods that human's are 'programed' to enjoy, we have centered our society around making those foods easily accessible and cheaper. Dr. Sallis makes a great point when he states they they are 'almost the only foods that are advertised.' I have seen very minimal commercials for fruits, vegetables, and whole foods whereas I see horrible foods advertised constantly.
The only thing about this article is that I wish Dr. Sallis had provided some additional solutions relating to this issue that would be understandable and do-able to the average population.
Dr. Sall's editorial gave great insight into the challenges of creating environments that prmote wellness and health. It is interesting that she mentioned the disadvantages of neighborhoods that are not designed with health in mind, thus , enabling individuals to actively seek alternative measures to exercise. This editorial was quite a touchy subject for me. I grew up in an improvished neighboorhood, infested with crime, proverty and drugs. My parents did not allow us to play outside the comfounds of our home, and they would never consider allowing us to exercise. Therefore, it is critical to assume that the reasons for obesity are broad.
I definitely that personal initiative and determination must be waived in regards to the power of public policy when it comes to the obesity issue. Public policy is must faster and will costs less than the several thousand public health campaigns that would be needed to be put in place to disenfranchise the infrastructure of fast food and other unhealthy markets. I believe that we must turn to policy instead of personal choice because if personal choice was better we wouldn't have an obesity issue in the first place.
Post a Comment