This week's topic is Vaccines for Tweens : Planning a Health Campaign, a webinar based on social marketing theory.
Go to the California Distance Learning Health Network (cdlhn.com). Select Public Health Cafe : Vaccines for Tweens. It's a 30 minute webinar on using social marketing to plan a campaign. It may be useful for your own project planning. What take home messages do you get from this ?
Then check out the Kid's Cool Sites at the top of the page. On the cool sites page, check out the 3 Goose Mumps videos - what do you think of this approach for promoting vaccines to tweens ? What part of the website do you think will be most effective for tweens in raising awareness or promoting vaccinations ?
Please also take a few minutes to bone up on Health Literacy using the BB Resources. It's a really important issue for us in public health.
Check out the Harvard School of Public Health website's Literacy video (15 minutes) and the slide show linked to week 7 and 8 on BB. What is your take home message from each of these ? Feel free to play with the software tools mentioned in class that are resourced for you under week 7 & 8.
Please note : There is no extra credit opportunity with Delicious. Miriah will be doing that one.
Please do load up your own Delicious account with your best links related to your group topic and be sure to share them with your fellow group members. It's a great tool for getting everyone on the same page before planning your presentation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
32 comments:
I thought the presentation provided a nice clear outline of how to create a campaign via identifying the behavior for change (vaccinations) and deciding on a main target audience (tweens-9-12 yrs old). There were many creative ideas generated from formative research, a central theme targeted the value of talking to parents about getting a vaccination. Framing immunizations as a positive behavior that will keep tweens involved in their sports teams as well as provide them with a way to demonstrate their maturity are positive social benefits. Addressing the barriers of initiating a conversation with parents also seemed useful for tweens. Encouraging them to generate ideas and examples of initiating this conversation via school or radio competitions was very creative. Getting more of the tween environment, such as school or other tweens, involved in increasing awareness of the benefits of vaccinations was also central. For example, promoting schools to host a vaccination day at the right time (e.g., sport sign ups) or giving them reminder cards to take home, were great ways to heighten awareness and provide vehicles for the behavior to be demonstrated. Further, knowing the target audience, their barriers, benefits and channels was emphasized as central to a successful campaign. In addition to comprehensive literature searches and modeling after effective campaigns, to create effective marketing it is central to observe and “get to know,” even if briefly, your target group.
I thought the website was creative and interactive. The information provided was very helpful, but I still wonder how much a tween can comprehend about the laundry list of diseases that was provided. The 3 videos on the Goose Mumps link definitely utilized scare tactics, which may or may not increase the likelihood that tweens would ask their parents about getting a vaccination. I think if they also highlighted the benefits of getting vaccinations (e.g., that you can play on your sports teams, go on fun field trips with your classmates, show your parents how mature you are) might be better than scaring kids about dying from a disease. I think the information is great, but that it should also utilize the information presented in the social marketing presentation.
The webinar on Social Marketing was informative and easy to follow. The process of developing a program using social marketing principles was outlined clearly with the example of Tweens and Immunizations. A program was developed to empower tweens (generally, those ages 9-12) to get the immunizations they need.
Beyond identifying the health problem, it is critical to identify the target audience. This part of the Social Marketing Model was covered quite extensively in the webinar. The target audience is the group that we have collected information on—including consideration of potential influencers and demographics. It is important to identify our audience for the development of the campaign (including tailored messages and choice images) and the budget we may have. In our group, ImmunoBoost, we really want to look at the life of someone who suffers from an Immune Disorder and how often chronic pain and fatigue are associated with these conditions. Additionally, what we want to do is provide messages and imagery of hope and that it may be possible to engage in routine activities without all the pain and fatigue.
The webinar goes on to explain the significance of identifying behaviors that the audience can develop—making sure these are BEHAVIORS, and not thoughts, feelings, or attitudes. Furthermore, careful consideration should be given to the benefits and barriers our audience perceives. Elements such as competition (for the attention of our audience) and the infrastructures in place should be analyzed when weighing potential barriers. Deciding which barriers we can potentially reduce, which benefits we can communicate, and place factors collectively make up the product (“marketing offer”). Several health behavior theories make note of the benefit/barrier ratio.
The next things we do…communicate the product! It was stressed that message development should FOLLOW identification of perceived benefits and barriers to the specific behavior. In addition, just as we discussed in class, it is wise to continuously evaluate and modify for the success of our program.
As for the Kid’s Cool Sites—the 3 Goose Mumps videos were super neat! I plan on sharing these videos with my son. I already try to make him aware of germs and the importance of hand-washing…but these are pretty informative. The take home message for kids should be that vaccines help PROTECT against some of the diseases listed and all of the “nasty” symptoms (associated with the diseases) illustrated in the videos. The videos are most effective for younger children, I believe.
The goose mumps videos were creative and seemed to be on the right track in finding a way to target tweens. The cartoons seemed a bit young for the tween population, yet a little too extreme for younger children in the way the viruses talked about killing children (yikes!). I think that perhaps a more positive approach and cartoon character might be more influential, by using a friendly vaccine character that explained how it did it's job to protect the body and keep it healthy.
The health literacy information provides valuable insight into creating effective and comprehensible health messages. As public health students and professionals we get so used to speaking and writing papers that use very technical language, that we forget to simplify information for others. I am already thinking of ways that i might be able to improve the educational handouts and materials that I use in my job so that they are more basic and easily understood by the teens I work with.
The webinar “Marketing Vaccines for Tweens” was an interesting topic the illustrated the actual application of some of the theories and concepts we have been discussing in class; psychographics, social marketing, formative research. The use of marketing principles in this program really illustrated how important the product, price, place and promotion are to a successful campaign. I also thought that her definitions differentiating between goals and a behavior was helpful especially as we are about to design our own programs for the class assignment.
Looking at the website and ‘the cool stuff for kids’ I thought the website was really colorful and fun, and had a lot of interactive options that will definitely be appealing to tweens.
The Vaccine and Tweens webinar was very informative. She explained the process very clear and concise. This is helpful to understand what one can do to to create a successful campaign.She outlined the process beginning with recognizing the health problem, choose the target audience, what behavior the target population should adapt, look at barriers and benefits, come up with a product and promotion and Evaluating and Modifying.
For each construct she gives very helpful advice and explains common errors made when marketing.For example, when she spoke about choosing a behavior to adopt, one should focus on only one behavior, an action, not a feeling or attitude.
She stressed the fact that Psychographics is very important and needs to be understood to get a really good sense of the target population. I completely agree with her, the use of different tactics to get to know your target population is very crucial to plan out a program for a population. She even suggested going out there and hanging out with the tweens. I will definitely keep these things in mind when working on the project!
In regards to the Mumps video.Very cool!but if a younger child were to see it, they would have a scare. Even I felt a little creeped out! The "measel", for example, mentioned death, and this can induce fear. They should definitely add a positive side to knowing about mumps and getting vaccinated but it is a very creative way to reach tweens.
Vaccines for Tweens: primary take home message – know and understand your target audience. Then make sure to synchronize your message with research and the salient benefits, motivators, reinforcers, and barriers for that specific target audience. Use other successful health campaigns as models for your own. Use social marketing strategies to plan and implement an effective health media campaign: start with defining health behavior and target audience; then consider the relevant price, place, product, and promotion methods to reach the target audience and create measureable behavior change.
The unique characteristics in targeting the tween audience is something I am very familiar with work and enabled me to execute a PA intervention targeting tween girls in San Diego middle schools. Some of the key ideas mentioned were: using empowerment as a motivator; using older teens as role models; helping tweens feel like they are making decision to becoming their own individual; creating an effective campaign or program that can overpower competing activities; using word of mouth for promotion; and creating fun themes.
The cool sites for kids seemed a little young to me. They would probably better reach upper elementary versus early middle school based on the color schemes, graphics, and cartoon style.
The literacy information and sets were a very good experience. Editing enabled me to see just how jumbled our language can be and we all have college educations, I cannot imagine how intimidating or daunting that would be for someone with lower literacy rates or English as a second language.
I found the webinar presentation very informative yet basic enough that it was easy to follow. I like how they went step by step and outlined a specific behavior that they were trying to change.
Knowing your target audience was perhaps one of the most important messages that I took away from the presentation. You need to be aware of who your target audience is and understand the barriers and benefits of the behavior change you are trying to acquire before you work on the message. So often advertisers and marketers start with the message without really knowing their audience, which is why so many marketing campaigns tend to fail.
Also, a lot of marketing focuses on thought and attitudes as opposed to narrowing in on the behavior. Thoughts and behaviors seldom lead to change, you need the action, which is the behavior in order for change to occur.
The Goose Mumps videos were really cool. I like that they were colorful and took more of a story-telling approach as opposed to informational lecturing. I didn't like that they used a scare tactic approach. "Hepatitis B" for example was eating a liver (gross!) and mentioned death. "Measles" also mentioned death, which is scary to a child(even a tween). It gets the point across and definitiely makes vaccinations seem important and like a big deal, which is good, but it can also be scary. I think just making sure there is a balance between getting the information out there in a creative and impactful way without scaring kids is important.
Dr. Kirby demonstrated a very straight forward process of developing a Tweens & Immunizations program using social marketing principles. Her illustration really emphasized various aspects of a program that we touched upon in class. For example, the importance of focusing on a target audience, how benefits of adopting a behavior should outweigh the barriers (tangible & intangible), if the behavior is easily accessible ( proximity of clinic), continuous evaluation and modification and so forth. Nonetheless, a specific behavior, product, promotion and promotion planning are also equally important to the success of a program. She also mentioned the importance of psychographics to really grasp the target audiences understanding, personality, values, attitudes and lifestyle, mainly a way of getting to know selected audience. This was overall a great way to develop a campaign. It was made understandable and clear so that it can be used as a model for future campaigns.
The website for kids was very creative (in a weird way) but it had certain components that pretty much would get a point across. Certainly, a couple things I clicked on could induce fear, however, I also found them to be informative. For example, I believe the quizzes would be more effective because it would give tweens the chance to challenge their knowledge and gain knowledge at the same time. The quizzes also would not induce fear, which would likely create an opposite effect.
I found the webinar for the vaccines for tweens very helpful in first deciphering the role of social marketing and how it relates to tweens. First the conceptual model of Social Marketing given was very clear and helped me understand how all the constructs were connected. Also, I liked how they showed how the uniqueness of tweens related to the constructs of Social Marketing. I think the biggest take home message for me is that you really need to know your target audience before you can use Social Marketing of a health behavior. If there was not enough information on how tween get their information or what is important to them, then it would be impossible to create a good intervention.
When I first looked at the meet goose mumps, I thought it was very creative and would be attractive to tweens. However, I did feel the way the different diseases spoke about death was a bit disturbing! It may be better to inform the tweens on how you get the diseases, and the vaccines work, but not focus on death so much.
I thought the video was a great overview of Social Marketing. It also gave a little more background on the specific needs of the tween population, which seems to be a popular target audience these days. Having worked with kids in that age group I still had never thought about the difficulty of talking with their parents about their health needs and that it might be a more difficult behavior to perform. I did see the relevance of using older teens to communicate the message and as this age group is saturated by media and marketing that should be tapped into. As I watched I envisioned using spokespeople like "High School Musical" cast members who are seen as older teens and idols to promote vaccination.
Again too formative research came up as one of the strongest players in a successful campaign. She gave some emphasis at the end also to the idea of getting permission to reformat existing programs and to use their research to build your own for your target audience. I think in our current economy these ideas are going to be very important to battle budget cuts. Plus there is no reason to re-invent the wheel just improve it.
The three disease videos were great. I thought of my former 8th grade students and how they might not have wanted to admit it they would have loved these cartoons. As 99% Latino, my students, would have also loved characters that spoke in Spanish or used some common Spanish slang to relay message. They were funny and even had an element of fear which that age group loves. You could even use a holiday like Halloween to do extra promotion for the real "monsters" in our society, disease. This website overall too was really cool. It was esthetically pleasing and seemed full of fun activities. I really believe in our society that Social Marketing is the way to go.
FYI I tried watching the Health Literacy but the video only plays sound and does not show the video. I listened for a bit to the individuals who explained their needs for better understanding of materials but besides accents it was hard to get a real idea without an image of this population. If you have never worked with people from lower SES and educational attainment its important to have this understanding. To better serve them we need to have the full picture.
I also thought the video was a great overview of social marketing. I thought the discussion focusing on the tween market was incredibly interesting. I have a pretty limited demographic group that I have worked with creatively, so it was really interesting just to hear strategies about how to reach other specific groups.
I checked out the tween website and I think it can be a useful tool to influence kids opinions on immunization shots. I especially liked the fact that you could type in your questions to "other tweens" and they would respond with an answer. It looks like a pretty new website so I'm excited to see where they take it in the future.
The webinar applies the social marketing model to tweens by looking at each area of the model and addressing the issue step by step when planning an intervention. They have done a lot of research on what matters to tweens and seem to feel they know how to reach them. They make a good point when they say that it is better to focus on behavior because thoughts and attitudes seldom lead to change. They also believe that demographics and psychographics will play the biggest role in marketing. I know it is important to know you audience and like the idea of observing tweens to find out more about them.
The main message that I took from this webinar was that tweens want to be older and mature, they want to be individuals and they want to make decisions, if you address these wants and make the behavior fun, like through the contest that they suggested, then they will be more likely to adopt the behavior. It was nice to see a the planning behind an intervention and hope that they are able to help teens see the benefits of vaccinations.
This video was a great model for how to create a promotion program. It was very clear and concise. The emphasis on clearly defining the target audience was especially important. Selecting tweens as the audience was very specific and allowed for a more targeted, focused promotion. I also liked the emphasis on targeting a behavior rather than knowledge—action is key. It is also very important that in all campaigns benefits outweigh barriers. The video had a great explanation of the promotion plan. I feel as though this video would be useful for anyone….especially a student or first time promotion planner. It was also very clear that extensive formative research was done; another key to a successful promotion campaign. This campaign would be an excellent teaching tool.
The website was very kid friendly. I especially liked how, once again, the audience was addressed. The first thing a child does when they enter the site is select their age group and if they live in CA or not. I thought it was really fun that one could create their own podcast or video. Of course I feel as though I would have trouble with this, but I’m assuming most children are more technologically advanced than I am. The site was colorful and had characters children could relate too. I also felt it had valuable information explained in a simple way. The goose bumps videos were very creative and funny!
I too liked the presentation on Social Marketing and the way it was explained for targeting tweens for vaccinations. I like how the presenter made it very clear that behavior is very different from knowledge and attitude and that while making messages one should be targeting behavior and not attitudes or knowledge. I also like the fact how the presenter explained the 4 P's of marketing. It was really helpful. It was very clear from the presentation that they have really done their research on tweens really well!
Regarding the goose mumps videos/website i like the fact that the website appealed to tweens. I also like how they could make their own videos and stuff. The part where they can post questions related to different stuff was also good. I think overall the website was nicely designed and that the interactive interface will be helpful. The only thing i did not like was how a couple of the videos showed that the disease causes death. Now i do agree that the fear factor is necessary but i feel that going that far to scare the tweens is a bit too much!
I thought this was so informative for marketing a campaign. I think the most important component is to know, know, know your audience. Going around this could set you up for failure as well as wasting valuable monies on a program that does not relate to your target audience. I really thought this was a very helpful tool we could use as well as have in are arsenal for the future. It is so important especially dealing with specific groups.
I also liked the website for tweens. It seems like what we got from the video that tweens like to be interactive as well as ask other peers for help. Providing information on shots and diseases was great because it let the tweens go look up the information on there on. This also reminded me a little about the verb site. ( a little) Writing to Alex & Alexa. I also think they need to also hurry and finish the site (Rock star game) so tweens won't lose interest waiting for a site to finish.
Dr. Kirby's presentation discusses Social Marketing and disease prevention that’s specifically directed at “tweens”, and how to empower them to get the immunizations they need. It was very clear that behavior is different from knowledge and attitude. While making messages one should be targeting behavior and not attitudes or knowledge.
The funny thing, I had suggested to my group that we look at our intervention as a Product and to use the 4 P's to sell to our target group. Dr. Kirby took the 4 P's and used it in her project which I found awesome. We would probably most likely look into this in our group for reference.
The project had done alot to collect information (formative research) to address the barriers on the Tweens relationship with their parents. Which I find to be very important to understand their feelings/thoughts at this age range.
The goose mumps videos/website seemed like a fun website for tweens, very appealling. They also had a blog section or QA section which I found to be very interesting and a good way of educating tweens. I think overall the website was nicely designed and that the interactive interface could be fun for a tween. The fear factor came into play which is necessary for certain populations but had mixed feelings towards this particular target group.
I think the most effective part of the website for tweens is the online games/blogs/cool links part. It is just way more kid friendly…everything else on the website looks very professional and wouldn’t necessarily attract the tweens it’s targeting. Additionally, the online quiz helps the tweens be interactive with the education; that isn’t necessarily so when clicking on links and reading paragraph after paragraph of information. Also, the language of the tween website is easier to understand than the technical language used in other parts of the website. This will enable tweens to comprehend the importance of getting vaccinated, instead of them writing it off as just something they read but didn’t absorb. I liked that the videos presents a visual for understanding why vaccinations are important…it not only emphasizes the stuff from the online quiz, but it illustrates what could actually be happening inside the tween’s body.
The Social Marketing presentation was very informative, precise and easy to follow. The slides were easy to read and were not overwhelmed with words and long sentences. As for the context, I thought it was helpful in the guidance of developing a program. I think it was very important to point out the difference between a behavior and an attitude. The goal is not to change attitudes, that typically doesn't lead to behavior change, but to change an action. Once that is clear, creating the rest of the program will be more focused. Tweens is an interesting group to work with in that they clearly have different barriers and benefits than other age groups and their decisions are heavily weighed on their peers. It seems that formative research was conducted to evaluate the channels in which the health message needed to be communicated. I suspect they will have better outcomes in getting kids vaccinated because they have a clear idea on how to target them.
The Goose Mumps is a great way to reach children in this age group. The images were colorful, informative and fun. I liked how they showed actual images of what was happening in their body without the vaccine. It may add a small sense of fear, and may promote action to get vaccinated.
In the webinar, Marketing Vaccines to Tweens presentaions, Susan Kirby discusses social marketing and disease prevention specifically directed at “tweens”, and how to empower them to get the immunizations they need.
She focused on behaviors of tweens, their parents, coaches, that can me adopted and modified. She walked through each part of the model. traget audience was (tweens). I liked how she explained how to identify a single behavior, that will lead to the ultimate behavior. She also identifying critical barriers (competition for attention i.e. video games). She also added the place/physical variable (organisations and structures). Together, this was a comprehensive model. She kept mentioning how important it was to have only one target audience in social marketing. That way it is easier to understand the audience and the barriers. Psychographics was mentioned- Which I really enjoyed! For example, identifying tweens crawind for being respected as individuals, this can be used in the campaign efforts as a tool. In the overally theme, the importance of emphasis on behavior and not knolwledge and attittudes were apparent. Addressing the barriers for teens to intiate a converstion with parents was discussed to large extent. There were some great ideas generated as to how to use the everyday enviornment of tweens, such as ports registrations at school, media, internet, movies, music, etc. She used the VERB campaign as an example of the effectiveness of getting tweens involved in participatory campaigning. The final message was to understand the audience.
The goose mumps videos were very creative.I would probably make the cartoons a bit more age appropriate though. and I would probably use less of the scare tactics. However, I really liked the fact that there was a big interactive component to it.
Vaccines for Tweens complemented many of the concepts we learn in class. It was interesting to see how such concepts are put into practice to achieve a health behavior. I appreciate how thorough and clear the example was. Susan Kirby did a great job of exploring the importance of identifying the target audience, target behavior, barriers, benefits, etc. This video will definitely help in designing health communication materials for our group project.
I thought the big take home message was to know your target audience! The presenter did a very good job with obtaining an in depth understanding about tweens through formative research. By understanding your audience, you can create a more effective campaign. Shaping your campaign around the needs and interests of your audience will, in turn, increase the chance that your audience will benefit from it. I especially thought the segment on tweens and communication with their parents was informative. Before watching this presentation, I was unaware that immunization was an issue among tweens. However, their parents are an excellent resource to begin to change the tweens' behavior. There needs to be a good communication avenue between these two groups.
The Tween website was very creative. The videos seemed a little intimidating to that age group. They use the "scare tactic" to encourage tweens to get vaccinated. While this may work with some tweens, they might also get the wrong impression or misinterpret the information. For example, by simply saying (in the HBV video) that there are "a lot of ways to get me...even sharing a toothbrush or washcloth...", kids might not fully understand what the disease is and how it is contracted. You can get it by touching it? There needs to be a little more info so tweens are going around being afraid to touch everything!
However, overall I thought the site was very well put together. I especially like that there was a blog/forum for kids to post questions or thoughts. It is a good resource to get some peer to peer advice and reinforcement!
I think the presentation is a great review of how to utilize social marketing theory to develop a communication campaign. Some of the information that stood out to me was the importance of focusing on one target audience at a time when developing a health campaign to ensure that you accurately identify the pros and cons, barriers, etc. that are specific to each segment of the population. I also though it was helpful to learn that an effective communication campaign addresses benefits and barriers prior to introducing the campaign message.
Regarding the tween site, I thought the graphic were nice although I am not sure that the site is engaging enough to compete with other websites available to tweens. I think that including more games, music, and footage of other tweens and adolescents could make the website more appealing to the target audience. Also, from what I could see, it doesn’t seem like a lot of tweens are utilizing many of the resources available through the website (e.g., health forum). It would be a shame to spend so much time and efforts developing a health campaign to have it not reach your target audience. This highlights the importance of knowing how to market your intervention in order to maximize reach.
The campaign was a great way to communicate on marketing vaccines for tweens. I really like the part when she stated "A behavior is an ACTION SOMEONE TAKES, so setting a goal of having tweens know the shots they need at age 12 is not a behavior. Setting a goal to have tweens visit a website and download a fact sheet on their shot schedule IS a behavioral goal." I agree with this comment because knowing something is different from doing it.
I think the three goose mumps are very informative but a little too extreme. The animation sounds evil and scary. I don't like the word "die" because it could make the children feel like they have no hope if they get the disease.
The webinar "Vaccines for Tweens" is a great social marketing tool. It provides a nice and clear approach to marketing to Tweens about vaccination. I really liked the display of the social marketing model because it provided a roadmap for those who are interested in studying tweens. The webinar had a great explaination on how to approach a vaccination campaign for tweens. They talked a lot about how tweens can initiate and communicate to their caregivers the benefits and barriers of getting immunized. This way caregivers, schools, and communities can be aware of how important it is to get immunized by hearing their tweens talk to them.
After seeing this webinar, I feel like it has provided a roadmap on how my group and I can lay out our social marketing campaign for chronic fatigue syndrome.
I think the Cool Stuff and Alex and Alexa portions would be the most effective. The cool stuff provides information about cool areas of interests for teens such as art, music, links, and videos. The Alex and Alexa portion is really good for kids to express their thoughts and problems and be able to get advice from them. Overall, it is an interactive site where kids can learn a lot about vaccinations, diseases, and other tween issues.
Goose mumps provide interesting facts for kids to look at. Kids like words like "nasty" germs. This word is a good attention grabber for kids. The site is bright and easy to access. Goose mumps is GREAT!
The video on Social Marketing for tweens was very informative and interesting. The process of developing an effective strategy to target the tween population was clear. She obviously knew the target audience very well, the type of behavior of a teen. Some of the take-home points I got from the video was to carefully choose the target audience, understand the competition for attention and the strategy is done last. An understanding of this transitional stage of life would help to develop a specific intervention... I also learned about the psychographics of teens: their desire to feel empowered yet still need guidance. Tweens are caught in an in-between phase of life that can be targeted through tailoring messages that create independence and has guidance.
The Goose Mumps images were scary to me. I would want to go get a vaccination if I wasn't vaccinated! Although they were cartoons, they illustrated the seriousness of not being vaccinated. I thought it is an excellent way to influence tweens in getting vaccinated.
The webinar on social marketing was informative and easy to follow. The presentation provided helpful steps that can be used in campaign planning, as well as other health communication projects. It is imperative for health educators to avoid jargon, and provide the target audience with simple content. Although the webniar was informative, the speakers could have used a better tone, and provided fewer details. She was able to define the social marketing concept clearly and concisely, but I believe the information was an overload.
I enjoyed the goose mumps videos for the tweens. The production of the video was creative and I but the character in the video appeared to be a bit scary. The tweens age group probably would think of the character as corny, and would probably think that they are “too old”, for that message. However, the message was positive and I think that allowing Tweens to make their own video was creative and allowed children to actively engage.
Tweens have become the popular target audience recently, so why not use their new found power to provide positive alternatives to unhealthy behaviors.
The webinar outlined the social marketing theory well and provided good insight into how to be successful in targeting the tween market. I would have been more impressed, though, if they had demonstrated formative research with actual tweens.
The Goose Mumps videos were a nice approach, but the cartoons may come across as too juvenile. The webinar focused on how tweens are striving to be seen as teens/adults yet the video is presenting information in a cartoon format which presents a bit of a discrepancy between the two presenations.
The death references may force some tweens to revert to childhood instead of progressing to teenhood. This is a time in life where much vacillation occurs. It is a time where tweens are striving to be teens, but can just as easily return to being children. I believe that the presentation of death may have done more harm than good in that respect.
The social marketing presentation was rather trite and banal. It didn't experience or hear anything new or anything to improve my knowledge that Dr.M hasn't already taught. I think it is nice to see an application but it all was kind of been there done that rudimentary theory. I did like the Goose mumps videos but I don't think they would be quite effective on tweens because they seem more geared for children. However, I never really liked videos like this because they assuage the damage and severity that diseases have. I think if patients were shown and physical symptoms along with the cartoon might make a mental connection and a better sense of reality for adolescents
The presentation on social marketing was quite informative. It shows the importance of knowing your target population and knowing it very well, in order to grab attention and ultimately change behavior. The information provided would be very useful for any health communication project. I know it will be useful in our campaign planning :)
I appreciated how the webinar provided a framework that works as a guide for social marketing campaigns targeted toward tweens.
I certainly enjoyed Goose mumps, and especially that tweens can get creative and make their own video. Though, I do agree with many of my classmates that using death as a fear factor is a bit extreme. We should see a change in tweens’ behavior not because they are afraid of death, but because they want to live better and healthier lives.
The social marketing presentation provided an excellent guide and example of how to use formative research to tailor campaigns to a target audience. I think was very helpful and infomative in addressing the marketing techniques used in developing campaigns to influence behavior. I also learned that I had a lot of misinformation about vaccinations, so it was personally helpful for me!
For the most part, I thought the Tween sight was a bit underwhelming. One of my favorite parts was the Online Quiz, because it was interactive and I feel would likely capture the attention of this age group. The "Meet the Goose Mumps" videos were a great way to get information about germs and vaccines accross to kids. I think this age group would be much more likely to watch and pay attention to these videos as opposed to the list of definitions of bacteria and germs. The germ 'characters' were a little on the dramatic/scary side, but this personalization is also characteristic of the cartoon characters portrayed in many of the shows kids watch.
The website for tweens was really fun! I thought it was a great resource for tweens. The website also had some great resources for parents, especially considering the hot issues regarding immunization these days. It was on the news recently than one state mandated parents to vaccinate their children with the flu vaccine.
I thought the goose mumps video was pretty fun, and insightful, but it could have potential to scare kids.I thought the tween blog was pretty interesting as well, although I am wondering if all the blog comments are real.
The biggest take home message I got from the webinar was target audience is important. It is not sufficient to assume you know what your target audience wants to hear. Benefits and barriers are also very important to take into account. I thought the overall presentation was very clear and easy to understand. It was also informative. These factors are important, especially if we are taking in to account the literacy of the general population.
Post a Comment